Computers, Reviews, French, More Books

Hey guys. Unfortunately I was unable to post for the passed couple of days due to my computer being out of commission. Then my laptop refused to work with me and Blogger and did everything in it's power to keep me from posting. So needless to say I didn't get much done. But luckily my dad fixed the computer for now and I am now terrified of shutting down/restarting it in fear it wont ever boot back up again. So sometime within the next few hours I'm going to transfer my important documents to my dad's external hard drive so anything and everything I actually care about losing isn't lost.

So I have decided that twice a week, I'll be adding French to the list of things to do. I'm going to do it Wednesdays and Sundays. I was originally thinking Saturday and Sunday but then I thought that'd be a little silly when the other languages are a couple days apart.

Incase anyone is wondering, no my room is not clean and I probably should have taken advantage of the fact that my computer was out of commission since it cause my room to go from really warm to nicely cool. But maybe I'll just have to shut it down again, read a bit, clean, and then boot it back up...after I transfer those files of course.

I also have just gotten back from the library yesterday with many books. (I need to remember that I am setting this post in the future since it's nearly midnight when I am typing it now.) 8 infact, 6 of them dealing with business, and 5 of those 6 are in marketing and advertising. So expect a lot of reviews coming up for them within the next few weeks. I've had to assign note cards with numbers to the books to keep my records straight.

Speaking of reviews...


Yeah, I've been promising you guys the finished book review, and I did honestly try and get it to you but the computers were conspiring against me. That and I had forgotten how to do links with amazon, but I figured it out. :)

So Grandmother's Secrets: The Anchient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing by Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi as translated by Monique Arav for us in who rely on English at the moment.

I honestly really loved this book. It's an interesting piece starting with her life as it later develops not only her points of view in life, but an interesting theory in the practice of belly dancing. Incase it's not obvious by now, I love to belly dance and have always been fascinated by it. So as I started, the book is broken into three sections, the life experiences becoming theory as she retells her life, the history of dance throughout time and cultures (notice the s!), and finally practice.

Her life is probably my favorite part of the book as she vividly tells her story as she grew up with her family. There were some points where I was not only picturing myself in her place, but finding myself jealous at her childhood. From a very young age to the day where is declared a woman and the life lesson's she learned, yes, mostly from her grandmother.

The history is an interesting summary of large leaps over many countries since an in-depth history lessen would make this very breezy read weighed down with a lot of nit-pick facts and dates. Mostly she focuses on the roles of dance and it wanes and flourishes in various cultures at various times.

Practice is probably the biggest part the book has to do with specifically belly dance as it goes through each individual body part and exercises and dances for it. As well as some other dances such as veil and stick. There's even a brief moment where she takes the time to explain rituals through most of the regions of South Asia and the Middle East.

Over all, this book is a must have for anyone with a keen interest or fascination with this type of dancing.

Well, now that that has been taken care of, best get my list going for my busy day. (I also have to make sure I make it to Staples to fax something and take advantage of their $0.01 notebooks)

Back-Up Rewards: 6

List for today:
Writing: Book
Writing: Play
Writing: Script
Writing: Short Story
Etsy Teams
Etsy Products
Etsy Advertisements
Pagan Book
Reading Book
Library Book 1
Library Book 2
Library Book 3
Library Book 4
Library Book 5
Library Book 6
Library Book 7
Library Book 8
Brushing Teeth
Money Making
Curls
Step Aerobics
German
Belly Dance DVD
Work On Art
Sewing
Wig
Drunken Pixie Planning
KickStarter Planning
Clean Room
Shower

Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment