Dracula Review

Hey guys. Due to errands and me feeling cruddy all day, nothing really got done yesterday. Just Gaia Online Updates and Reading Book. But seeing as how I finished Dracula yesterday, it's time for the review.
















What can be said about this classic horror story? I personally thought the style in which it is written was interesting. Having the story entirely told from the point-of-view of someone's journal but there was usually enough of a clue for you to fill in the gaps. The story starts with Jonathan Harker's travels eastward from London, England into the German/Romanian territories. A stylistic comparison between this and Hunchback of Notre Dame is that the author doesn't have heavy descriptions of every nook and cranny of their surroundings, so it's a bit easier to picture in your head rather then whamming you with such specific details the reader can feel a bit overwhelmed. We're already given a feel of the spooky nature of the book by having the views of the superstitious townspeople displayed. Jonathan is portrayed as a proper and intelligent man on business, then as a near lunatic. For that to be explained, read the book.

I noted however, the sharp contrast the way his fiance and future wife was portrayed between what I've heard about the movies about her and the way a good amount of how women character are written today. Mina Harker is portrayed as a smart, clever, well tempered lady with an interest in psychology. She is rather independence and reliable although she still wants to get married, live in a nice house, and presumably, have children. For the Victorian era, or even for today's standards, I thought this was a good role model. Very rarely have I found characters with such characteristics. And again, remember the term "a man's mind" for the Victorian Era is a compliment rather then a sexist remark. I believe in holding things to the standard for the time they are written.

Lets talk about another contrast, Dr. Van Hellsing. Unlike how I've been introduced to the character before, he is much older and much more a sound of mind man then a man of action. Though it bothered me how quickly he fell out of love with Mina's friend Lucy and how quickly with Mina. It almost felt like he had a thing for smart already married women.

The story is defiantly very character driven being in someone's first person point of view and having the view constantly change. I felt the end was a bit of an anti-climax, but how climatic can killing someone while they sleep be in all honesty? I think it took 2 pages. I noted that the author really has a thing for run on paragraphs, having some take up and entire page before breaking. Overall I liked the book and would recommend it to just about everyone.


I am going to take a small break from reading before I move on to something co-written by one of my favorite parts of Wicked Faire, Lilith Lore.

fundraiser ideas

Free
thermometers

to track your green
fundraisers


**Edit: I forgot to mention, I priced things for the flea market this Sunday. Althoguh I'm not selling everything, if everything I priced sells at the priced I marked (which I highly doubt) I'll have made back that thermometer over twice over.

List for today:
Gaia Guild Updates
Writing: Book
Writing: Play
Writing: Script
World of Warcraft 1/2 Leveling
Brushing Teeth
Study German
Chain Mail
Ballet DVD
Hiragana/Katakana/Vocabulary Practice
Sewing
Art History Homework
Film Appreciation Homework
Business Homework

Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment